KINFO: Industrial Biotechnology: Fermentation, part 1 (5 credits)

TYK ry biokemiankopo biokemiankopo at tykry.fi
To Joulu 17 12:41:08 EET 2020

Industrial Biotechnology: Fermentation, part 1 (5 credits)

After a two-year hiatus, the course will begin February 2021.

Lectures and presentations will be remote via Zoom.

The laboratory work will take place in BioCity.  Newly remodeled BrewCity premises dedicated to the course are located on the YK-1 floor, including main fermentation lab, analysis room, cold room and freezer.

We have obtained licenses for the space and use from Valvira and the tax authorities have designated our space a tax-free zone.

If you are interested in joining the course please contact mark.s.johnson at abo.fi and please put FERMENT-2021A on the subject line.

We will maximally accept 27 persons and everyone will work in a group of 3 for the brewing. We have reserved 9 places each for ÅAU, TY and TUAS, and will place all others on the waiting list.

Participants from TY and TUAS must obtain a JOO number for ÅAU. This will allow access to the

Moodle pages where written materials for the course will be placed.

Mark Johnson, Tomi Airenne and Pirkko Heikinheimo will supervise the course.

Our tentative schedule for the initial lectures and brewing is:

February (background material, recipe development, BrewCity visit)

1.2, 3.2, 5.2, 15.2 1000-1130 Remote lectures

17.2 1000-1130 Remote, Short presentation of recipes, exam

19.2 1000-1025 Groups 1-3, visit to BrewCity lab space

19.2 1030-1055 Groups 4-6, visit to BrewCity lab space

19.2 1100-1025 Groups 7-9, visit to BrewCity lab space

March (Brewing x2, fermenting x2, bottling x2)

Groups 1-3 Brew on Tuesdays:

2.3, 9.3, 16.3, 23.3  0930 onwards

Groups 4-6 Brew on Wednesdays:

3.3, 10.3, 17.3, 24.3

0930 onwards

Groups 7-9 Brew on Thursdays:

4.3, 11.3, 18.3, 25.3

0930 onwards

Evaluation of the end products will be scheduled.

A tour and tasting session at a brewery may not be possible this year due to the corona virus situation, but we will see. Other changes to the activities and schedule may also take place.

Brief synopsis:

The biochemistry of fermentation (low oxygen levels) will be presented along with brewing to illustrate the metabolic pathway in relation to what occurs when oxygen is plentiful.

Detailed procedures for brewing using two different sets of equipment will be presented.

Groups of 3 will develop a recipe based on the available ingredients (water, malts, hops, yeast) for the first brewing. Groups will shortly present their recipe.

Based on the first brewing day using the manual method, groups will revise their recipe for possible improvements and the second brewing will use the semi-automatic Braumeister system.

Viestin välitti:

Samuli Pyytövaara

Biokemian koulutuspoliittinen vastaava

Turun Yliopiston Kemistit TYK ry