[Kaupunkitutkimus] Fwd: Call for papers: IUPE Congress 2020 Tartu, Estonia ***please distribute - last minute call***

Sampo Ruoppila sampo.ruoppila at utu.fi
Tue Dec 17 18:43:15 EET 2019

Lähettäjä: Partanen Jenni <jenni.partanen at aalto.fi>
Päiväys: 17. joulukuuta 2019 klo 14.03.49 UTC

*apologies for cross-posting and short notice*

Dear Colleagues,

We warmly invite urban studies&planning scholars and PhD students to join our session “Urban planning in times of uncertainty: Smart City as a paradigm shift in urbanity“ in the International Urban Planning and Environment Congress 2020 in Tartu, Estonia 20th -23rd July 2020. https://www.iupe13.ee/

<https://www.iupe13.ee/>

In post-industrial world, cities have become complex chimeras whose emergent dynamics and processes are hard to predict. Urban progress in uncertain: it results from dynamic interactions between myriads of individual actors, whose local location decisions and mobility choices appear globally as surprising flows, patterns and clusters. More importantly, cities are increasingly coupled with ubiquitous technological and digital networks, which break many of these  spatio-functional regularities presented in current urban theories. Cities are facing an extreme, qualitative transition yet unseen; similarly to the Industrial Revolution, the results cannot be predicted nor controlled. In planning, we need new tools and methods to make the city.

We invite proposals (abstract, max 275 words) of theoretical, practical or methodological approaches in urban planning and design considering unpredictability and uncertainty of (smart) urban progress.

Please send your proposal to us by 6th January 2020, jenni.partanen at aalto.fi<mailto:jenni.partanen at aalto.fi> and Kristi.Grisakov at taltech.ee<mailto:Kristi.Grisakov at taltech.ee>.

Hope to see you in Tartu!

Best wishes

Jenni&Kristi

Dr Jenni Partanen, Professor

PhD (cand) Kristi Grisakov, Lecturer

Academy of Architecture and Urban Studies, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia