[H-verkko] CFP: Archaeology of the Past and Registers of Fictionalization

agricola at utu.fi agricola at utu.fi
Ke Helmi 1 09:36:25 EET 2017

Agricolan artikkelipyyntöihin on lähetetty uusi ilmoitus:
Archaeology of the Past and Registers of Fictionalization
Call for Papers, Brukenthalia, no. 7

Archaeology of the Past and Registers of Fictionalization

            We currently witness the replacement of the term
historiography with a more comprehensive one, of cultural history, concerned
with the way in which the results of academic research are received in society,
taking into account its reactions and influences on the readjustment of
discourses about the past. The historical culture of an age is not to be
confused with how people choose to rewrite their collective biography in an
academic manner. The interest in history is implicitly manifest in other
meaningful areas such as funerary or ceremonial cultures, monuments and
cemeteries, travel or confessional literature, literary or filmic canons,
tastes, museums, maps, landscapes and gardens.

            It is important not to identify professional research
with the public taste for the past. The interest in history differs from the
preoccupations of writing history, the two registers competing and collaborating
sometimes. One has to keep in mind the fact that every historiography
illustrates more or less consciously a stage in the history of the forms of
knowledge. In other words, every period in the history of historical writing is
inspired by a certain theory about the past, the truth and the methods to
discover it. This conception is not entirely bookish, as the society was part of
its expression with all its specific sensitivities, prejudices and patterns. It
is known that the Parisians who witnessed the events of the 1789 Revolution
wanted the immediate mise-en-scène of those samples of recent history, thus
securing the possibility of commenting on the new “historical facts” and of
imposing their own representation of events. One may therefore talk about
fiction employed in discussing the notion of truth. It is fair to mention that
fantasizing had been for centuries an experiment, a search and an alternative,
while knowing implied solving a puzzle. Forgery was a temporary state of not
finding its opposite or a truth left in the dark. Lie was not a gross figment,
but a failure, a denial of an illusion, while disappointment silenced only a
failed demonstration. It was not the amplitude of invention, but the pretense of
retrieving the origins, of discovering the truth which offers the impression
that events are more recent. Therefore an impression is created that fiction
pervades reality so that reality can generate another fiction.

            Around which past do we create another manner of
co-habitation? In other words, how do we keep the memory of shared traits? And
how do we share, with others, this memory, which we usually equate with the idea
of identity?

            The Brukenthalia Journal proposes a subject for its new
issue – Archaeology of the Past and Registers of Fictionalization in order to
illustrate the idea of a transient past, which is based on an intermediary
identity, perpetually subjected to the same dilemmas: where are we coming from
and where are we going? Brought in the service of the Nation, history is lost
and recovered liberally, from various perspectives. And any temporary past may
be saved, re-canonized and presented as inevitable. Redefining Beauty has
engendered new ways to fictionalize the past, be they received or disputed, so
that the Ideological and the Aesthetical may cohabit. The panoramic view
frequently occasioned the neglect of details for the sake of synthesis.

Contributions to this issue of the journal could show that history reveals
itself fully even from seemingly unrelated events; as every fact is subjected to
a basic principle of association – every story is born from another, surviving
through ages due to its continuous correlation with other similar stories. The
past doesn’t reach us from discursive encodings or, worse, from various
“directives”, but from telling and incessantly re-presenting authentic
experiences interrelated then and now; or from the stories retold in paintings,
sculptures or films by the protagonists, be they key witnesses or mere
bystanders.

            The deadline for proposals (title and short abstracts) is
the 1st of June 2017. The selected papers will be announced on 15 June 2017. The
deadline for sending the articles is 1 September 2017.

            Contact E-mail: mihaela_grancea2004 at yahoo.com,
granceaela at gmail.com.

***
Brukenthalia is a supplement of Brukenthal. Acta Musei, enjoying the same
scientific status (CNCS B). The Brukenthal. Acta Musei academic journal is
included in several international databases:

2009 INDEX COPERNICUS
http://journals.indexcopernicus.com/Brukenthal.+Acta+Musei,p9181,3.html;

2010 EBSCOHOST https://www.ebscohost.com/titleLists/tnh-coverage.htm;

2011 SCIPIO http://scipio.ro/web/brukenthal.acta-musei ;