[H-verkko] CFP: Workshop: "Turning points of Consumption", 19.11.2015

agricola at utu.fi agricola at utu.fi
Mon toukokuu 11 12:11:50 EEST 2015

Agricolan artikkelipyyntöihin on lähetetty uusi ilmoitus:
Workshop: "Turning points of Consumption", 19.11.2015
Turning points of Consumption - Material Culture and Societal Change in the
Baltic Sea Region during the Long Nineteenth Century
 Interdisciplinary workshop, 19.11.2015, University of Greifswald

The consumption of luxury goods of the wealthiest members of early modern
societies has been researched extensively while the everyday consumption and
material culture of middle and lower social groups has attracted less attention.
In this context, research has also to focus on the emergence of a consumer
culture connected to a specific consumer behavior to understand the
opportunities and restructuring processes of everyday consumption. We therefore
invite contributions, which focus on middle and lower class
perspectives/experiences and engage in researching of material and immaterial
consumption in both urban and rural communities as well as more remote regions
during the so-called long nineteenth century. We are interested in “turning
points of consumption”, which include, for example, the emergence of mass
production and consumption, changing consumption patterns as well as changes in
the standards of living and the institutional settings for consumption and
markets.

The interdisciplinary workshop, organized by the International Research Training
Group (IRTG) "Baltic Borderlands: Shifting Boundaries of Mind and Culture in the
Borderlands of the Baltic Sea Region" (University of Greifswald, Germany) in
collaboration with the research group "Standard of Living, Consumption and
Societal Change in the Long Run" (Department of  History and Ethnology,
University of Jyväskylä, Finland) takes place at the Alfried Krupp
Wissenschaftskolleg in Greifswald on 19th November, 2015.

We invite papers and presentations in themes such as

emergence of consumer culture and mass consumption (from self-sufficiency to
commercial goods)
households and consumption in everyday life
wealth and poverty in various kinds of settings (opportunities of consumption)
production, distribution and reception of consumer goods
commercial legislation and consumers
material standard of living
immaterial and material culture (e.g. cultural consumption)
consumer behavior (e.g. values, mentalities)

We are interested in the long nineteenth century but we also encourage proposals
on other times that are crucial considering the turning points of consumption.
In addition, comparative approaches are most welcome.

Please submit abstracts (max. 300 words) to Dr. Maare Paloheimo
(paloheimot(at)uni-greifswald.de) by June 6, 2015. Applicants will be notified
by June 30, 2015. Finished papers have to be provided for commentators and
discussants in advance by October 31, 2015.   For further information contact
Dr. Maare Paloheimo, Dr. Piia Einonen (piia.einonen(at)jyu.fi) or Dr. Alexander
Drost (alexander.drost(at)uni-greifswald.de).

Further information will be available
on http://greifswaldworkshop2015.blogspot.de/, http://www.phil.uni-greifswald.de/fk/borderlands.html
and https://www.facebook.com/pages/IRTG-Baltic-Borderlands/311410042367670

Ilmoituksen lähetti: Maare Paloheimo <paloheimot at uni-greifswald.de>