[H-verkko] CFP: ESSHC Valencia 2016, Oral History & Lifes Stories Network

agricola at utu.fi agricola at utu.fi
Pe Tammi 9 09:31:50 EET 2015

Agricolan artikkelipyyntöihin on lähetetty uusi ilmoitus:
ESSHC Valencia 2016, Oral History & Lifes Stories Network

ESSHC Valencia 2016

The International Institute for Social History will organize the Eleventh
European Social Science History conference in Valencia, 30 March - 2 April 2016
at the University of Valencia.

Call for papers: life stories and oral histories

The Oral History and Life Stories Network brings together oral historians and
life stories practitioners who use oral histories to explore memory, narrative
and history.    Broadly, we want to encourage papers that explore the
relationship between oral histories and the construction and analysis of life
stories, both in terms of processes and outcomes. This, for example, might
include the conceptual use and reuse of both oral histories and life stories in
research, and/or considerations of the methods involved in both. We would
encourage proposals that attempt to cross the oral history/life history divide
(bringing the two research communities together).

We invite contributions that address the following key issues in method:

Interview relations (intersubjectivity as a dynamic interaction and building
trust), this could include ‘remembering for the future’ and how awareness of
potential reuse may shape interview encounters
Different approaches to questions and question design
Visuality: the interrelation between verbal and non-verbal in the interview or
life story
Life stories and the position and subjectivity of the researcher
Analytical approaches to “truth”, remembering and the parameters of gaps and
silences in narratives (told and untold topics)
The limits or parameters of interpretation
Ethics of consent

We are also specifically interested in papers on the following topics:

Environment, including climate change
Post-repression narratives including narratives of migration
Negotiating the private and the public in memory, including globalisation and
the continuation of traditions
Subaltern voices: life narratives ‘from below’
Turning life stories and oral histories into public history

Finally, we welcome papers exploring the ‘future of the past‘; that might
include the contribution of innovative contributions in archiving, curation,
sharing authority and teaching to the future of oral history and life stories
research.

Please note that our Network is often oversubscribed. If this is the case for
the Valencia 2016 conference, the Network chairs will select in the first
instance those abstracts that meet the themes highlighted in the call for
papers. We will also only consider proposals that draw substantially on oral
history and/or life story methods (and are research based). We will also
prioritise papers that are of high quality, and/or innovative in argument or
method.

Please note that proposals must be uploaded with required online
registration NO LATER than May 1, 2015. Please also read the ESHHC guidelines
at https://esshc.socialhistory.org/guidelines on proposing and presenting
papers.

While we welcome proposals for panels these must be international in membership
(and from different institutions), and each of their constituent papers must be
of a high quality. The over-riding criterion for selection is strength of
papers; if a proposed panel is not strong enough en bloc, the organisers will
(as in 2014) consider the merits of papers individually.

Our Network does not favour discussants; so that if a panel proposal includes a
discussant it should indicate why they wish to follow this format (and that if
they do, the panel must comprise a maximum of four speakers plus a
discussant). Sessions can have a maximum of five papers.

2016 Network Chairs:  Andrea Strutz LBI for History of Society and Culture /
University of Graz, Institute for History, Austria andrea.strutz at uni-graz.at
Graham Smith Royal Holloway, University of London, UK graham.smith at rhul.ac.uk
Anne Heimo University of Turku, Finland anheimo at utu.fi

Ilmoituksen lähetti: Anne Heimo <anheimo at utu.fi>