[H-verkko] CFP: International Committee of Collecting COMCOL

agricola at utu.fi agricola at utu.fi
To Helmi 28 17:18:37 EET 2013

Agricolan artikkelipyyntöihin on lähetetty uusi ilmoitus:
International Committee of Collecting COMCOL
INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE OF COLLECTING - COMCOL

 ICOM:iin syksyllä 2010 perustettu uusi komitea International Committee of
Collecting (COMCOL ) on toiminut kolme vuotta. Seuraava kokoontumisemme on
elokuussa 2013 Riossa ICOM:in yleiskokouksen yhteydessä. COMCOL järjestää
siellä oman session sekä workshopin Museu da Maré -museossa. Call for Papers
on tämän viestin lopussa.  Sessiomme teema on museoiden vanhojen kokoelmien
uudet tulkinnat ja uudet käyttötavat. Abstraktit tulisi toimittaa 15.
huhtikuuta 2013 mennessä COMCOL:in puheenjohtajalle,
leontine.meijer-vanmensch at ahk.nl.

 Call for Papers sekä lisätietoja konferenssista ja COMCOL:ista löytyy myös
seuraavan linkin takaa:

 http://www.comcol-icom.org/annual-conference-2013/

 Oman session lisäksi järjestämme yhteisen session  ICME:n (International
Committee for Museums and Collections of Ethnography) ja ICMAH:in (International
Committee for Museums and Collections of Archaeology and History) kanssa.

 CALL FOR PAPERS  COMCOL 2013 Annual Conference

 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 12-15 August 2013 (= days with COMCOL programmes)

 COMCOL is the International Committee for Collecting of the International
Council of Museums (ICOM) which aims to deepen discussions, and share knowledge
on the practice, theory and ethics of collecting and collections (both tangible
and intangible) development.

 COMCOL will hold its 2013 annual conference as part of the ICOM 23rd General
Conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 10-17 August 2013.

 COMCOL will organize working group sessions, paper sessions and a workshop in
Museu da Maré. One joint session will be held with the ICOM International
committees ICME and ICMAH.
 General COMCOL theme:
 The (Re)interpretation and (Re)usages of (Older) Collections and their Value
for Contemporary Society

 In the joint session with ICME and ICMAH this general theme will be specified
as   Contemporary Collecting for/and Reinterpreting (Older) Collections.

 Museum collections have to be constantly interpreted and reinterpreted in order
to extend knowledge about the collected objects. It is a long-accepted fact that
each museum is defined by its collections, but a contemporary museum offers its
visitors much more than the elements of the past. Museums from different
disciplines encounter questions of how to give new meaning to the existing
collections in interaction with society. We want to reflect on how these old
collections can be made valuable for contemporary society and possibly promote
social change.

 Some museums have been working with artists to reinterpret older collections,
mostly via interventions. Other museums have successfully opened a dialogue with
their communities, or their representatives, by relating them to objects in
museum collections. Members of communities have helped to interpret the objects
and can contribute to constituting and enlarging a collection. A museum is
always perceived by the messages it sends, among other things how it
communicates with objects. The "new" museum will be able to start the dialogue
with different communities and actors and find numerous issues that connect it
with their local features; it will invite its citizens to bring their
possessions and tell their stories. It will interpret new events in society
through exhibitions in which all social classes will meet and join in dialogue.

 Many museums are struggling to display the objects and stories of recent
history and write the stories of our own time. Do we handle contemporary history
differently compared to the history of older epochs?  If yes, why and how? How
can we include recent history to the activities of archaeological, ethnographic,
history and other museums?

 Museums have, at least in theory, unlimited possibilities to find contemporary
objects and tell contemporary stories. What kind of limitations do we experience
when we are bound to existing or "expired" collections? How can we make
contemporary questions to ancient collections that have been formed under other
paradigms?

 For COMCOL's separate session we invite papers that address the
(re)interpretation and (re)use of older collections and discuss their value for
contemporary society.

 For the joint session we invite papers, which focus on the notion and practice
of contemporary collecting for/and the reinterpretation of (older) collections
as well as upon participative collecting.

 We are particularly keen to encourage submissions that cut across and between
disciplinary vocabularies to provide new synergies, domains and
inter-disciplinary possibilities. We warmly welcome proposals which go beyond
traditional paper presentations and encompass also panels and workshops

 Submitting abstracts
 Submissions (between 250 and 300 words) should be sent to
leontine.meijer-vanmensch at ahk.nl by April 15, 2013. If you send the abstract as
attachment, please also include the text of the abstract in the text of the
e-mail itself.

 The following information should be included with the abstract:
 - Title of submitted paper + indication of joint session or separate COMCOL
session
 - Name(s) of Author(s)
 - Affiliation(s) & full address(es)
 - Abstract in English (between 250 and 300 words)
 - Support equipment required

Ilmoituksen lähetti: Agricola <agricola at utu.fi>
Ilmoitus vanhentuu: 16.4.2013
Lisätietoja WWW-osoitteesta: http://www.comcol-icom.org/annual-conference-2013/