[H-verkko] CFP: Perspectives on the “Great” War – Rückblick auf den Ersten Weltkrieg

agricola at utu.fi agricola at utu.fi
To Maalis 29 11:27:37 EEST 2012

Agricolan Artikkelipyyntötietokantaan
( http://agricola.utu.fi/nyt/pyynnot/ )
on tullut seuraava ilmoitus:

Perspectives on the “Great” War – Rückblick auf den Ersten Weltkrieg

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

Perspectives on the “Great” War
Rückblick auf den Ersten Weltkrieg

Queen Mary, University of London August 1.-4. 2014

Following an initial announcement and having found a considerable
level of interest, we are now able to provide further information
about this interdisciplinary conference.

We apologize for future multiple cross-postings. It is our intention
to host a major event which will stimulate and support scholarship
well into the future. We therefore aim to advertise widely and
repeatedly. The ideal objective will be the formation of an
international scholarly community with its own digital presence and
programme of events to follow up what could be an initial gathering
of colleagues with similar interests.

The key-note speakers will be:

- Professor Elza Adamowicz (London)
- Professor Christopher Clark (Cambridge)
- Professor Jonathan Steinberg (Pennsylvania)
- Professor Sam Williamson (Sewanee History Project)

Broad Topics

Political and military history; colonial history; social and cultural
history; religious history; medical science and technology;
historiography; discourse analysis; legacy, memory and 21st-century
cultural reflexes. Within these areas, the following perspectives
have presented themselves for debate:

- the perspectives of Germany and Austria, Great Britain, the U.S.A,
Ireland, the Middle East and India, Australia and New Zealand, the
African colonies of both Germany and Britain; the Balkan, Polish and
Russian perspectives and the Spanish, Italian and Portuguese
perspectives

- the Jewish perspective
- confessional perspectives
- the perspectives of occupied territories
- gendered perspectives
- the perspectives of artists, including Otto Dix, A.Y. Jackson
- the perspectives of various authors, including Bertha von Suttner,
Alfred Döblin, Ernst Jünger, Robert Musil
- the Nazi perspective

Within the above broad topics and perspectives, papers on the
following specific themes have been offered:

British cinema, tourism, advertising, art, literature, memory,
occupation, resistance, espionage and collaboration

We have received many offers to chair panels and will approach the
generous colleagues in due course.

Abstracts

Abstracts should be no longer than 500 words, including references.
It will be of great assistance to the organisers if proposals are as
concise as possible (i.e. fitting onto one sheet of A4 paper). The
deadline for submission of abstracts is 1st September 2012.

Conference Web-site

A conference web-site will be set up very shortly and we will send a
link to all those colleagues on our mailing list. We also hope to
organize an H-Net (or similar) presence very soon.

Funding and fees

Our university will be able to provide some funding, but cannot
promise to fund the entire event or pay speakers' expenses. We may
therefore have to charge a fee to cover our internal expenses, but we
will keep this as small as possible. We will charge a reduced fee for
students.

Once we have drawn up a provisional programme we will be able to
apply for additional funding from the usual suspects. In the past we
have received funding from the German Embassy, the Austrian Cultural
Forum and Queen Mary's School of Languages, Linguistics and Film. Any
further ideas as to whom we may approach (or, indeed, generous offers
of support!) will be welcomed. At our last conference we were awarded
a grant just one week before the conference took place and we were
therefore able to pay for all meals, so there is always hope that we
will find generous sponsors if we keep trying.

Publication

We cannot promise to publish all conference papers, but we intend at
the very least to produce one collection of refereed articles. We
have already received one promising offer, and we will compare this
with those from other publishers over the following months.

Further desiderata

Someone to speak on digital resources; for more German and French
colleagues to hear about the event; offers of collaboration from
interested institutions,

Please continue to address all inquiries to

Prof. Felicity Rash
f.j.rash at qmul.ac.uk

or

Dr Falco Pfalzgraf