[Gross] which dnsbls?

Justin Piszcz jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com
Fri Dec 12 22:30:38 EET 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Jesse Thompson wrote:

> Which dnsbls are people using with gross?
>
> we're using:
> bl.spamcop.net
> cbl.abuseat.org
> dnsbl.sorbs.net
> dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net
> dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net
> dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net
> dnsbl.njabl.org
> and the sophos blocker
>
> However, I'm thinking of disabling njabl, since we've had three cases of
> semi-legitimate mass mailers being listed on njabl.  Since we also do
> connection limiting, the greylisting was causing these large mailers to
> reconnect enough to run into our connection limiting.  Does anyone have any
> additional thoughts on njabl?

Hi Jesse,

-> bhnc.njabl.org

This one is a bit safer, I have also seen false-positives with the one you
mention.

In addition, dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net has also blocked IBM once, but you just
need to set the tolerances higher if using dnsbl-X.uce*.

cbl.abuseat.org also false positives occasionally

bl.spamcop.net & dnsbl.sorbs.net very accurate and result in few false
positives (in my experience)

As far as the sophos blocker, I have not tried/used it.

Justin.