[Gross] hermes.sun.com

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 10 21:11:54 EEST 2008

Henrik Krohns wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:34:24AM -0500, Jesse Thompson wrote:
>> They're currently asking me to whitelist their IPs from greylisting.
>> Apparently, they have to do this with a lot of customers.  I don't want to
>> do it.
>
> Why would you want to greylist legimate senders? You are just wasting
> everybodys resources.

I don't want to greylist legitimate senders.  Ideally, Sun should get
themselves off of blacklists if they expect mail to flow efficiently to
everyone (we're very conservative compared to others.)  Their
narcissistic process of making customers manually whitelist their
servers is wasting more resources than whatever resources would be spent
by Sun retrying on 4xx.

> You should simply whitelist all confirmed reverse-addresses matching
> .sun.com or atleast use dnswl.org data (hermes is included there also).

Whitelisting all confirmed reverse-addresses matching .sun.com is still
too manual.  But, it is better than whitelisting their individual IP
addresses.

DNSWL is a good idea too, which I've been planning to implement in gross
for some time.  But I still would like Sun to fix their issues.

Jesse

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Email/IM: jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu