[H-verkko] Työpaikkailmoitus: Chair in Finnish Studies at Lakehead University

Agricola - Suomen humanistiverkko no-reply at agricolaverkko.fi
Ma Helmi 12 09:49:59 EET 2024

Agricolan ilmoituksiin on lähetetty uusi työpaikkailmoitus:
Chair in Finnish Studies at Lakehead University
CALL FOR APPLICATION
CHAIR IN FINNISH STUDIES AT LAKEHEAD UNIVERSITY
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

The Lakehead University Chair in Finnish Studies Advisory Committee has opened a competition to bring a distinguished Finnish scholar from Finland to its Thunder Bay Campus for 4 or 8 months (September 1, 2024, to December 31, 2024, January 1 to April 30, 2025, or September 1, 2024, to April 30, 2025).

The Advisory Committee chooses chairs in Finnish Studies through an open competition. The Committee also negotiates with the faculties and departments that will host the successful applicants. Chairs must hold a PhD and have a significant research profile. The Chair is provided with a stipend, travel funds, and research support while they are at Lakehead University. Chairs in Finnish Studies contribute to at least one-half course per term in their field of expertise.

Chairs are expected to make significant contributions to Lakehead University's vibrant research culture and engage in impactful public outreach. Chairs also play a pivotal role in teaching and fostering academic excellence. They actively participate in public presentations in Thunder Bay and other locations, serving as influential representatives of Lakehead University. Moreover, Chairs are encouraged to share their expertise by engaging in teaching activities, mentoring students, and contributing to the academic development of the local community. They also immerse themselves in the rich Finnish culture, becoming active members of the local Finnish community. This commitment extends beyond their term as Chair, as they continue to maintain meaningful connections with Lakehead faculty. Further details about the Chair in Finnish Studies and their multifaceted role can be explored at https://www.lakeheadu.ca/chairs/finnish-studies

The stipend for the position depends on the nature of the application, the budget provided by the applicant, and any conditions of leave from the visiting professor's home university. Funding is available for reasonable accommodation at a subsidized cost and reasonable research funding. Return travel costs for the Chair and immediate family are also covered by the Chair Fund, as are appropriate library and travel costs associated with the Chair's activities.

The deadline for applications is 1 March 2024. Applicants must be made online through the link found at https://www.lakeheadu.ca/chairs/finnish-studies/how-to-apply

Please submit applications in English as one electronic PDF file that includes each of the
following:
• cover letter
• a curriculum vitae
• summary of teaching, outreach, and research plans while at Lakehead University - five
pages maximum
• budget (including expected salary)
• three academic letters of reference - References should be from established scholars qualified to provide detailed comments on your research, scholarship, and the merits of your project in relation to the mandate of the Chair in Finnish Studies. Applicants are responsible for ensuring the letters reach the Committee by the deadline.

This position is subject to budgetary approval and the successful applicant obtaining the required permits and VISAs before arriving.

For further information, please contact the Chair in Finnish Studies Advisory Committee at finnish.studies at lakeheadu.ca

Lakehead University and our Community
Lakehead University is a fully comprehensive university with approximately 9,700 full-time equivalent students and over 2,000 faculty and staff at two campuses in Orillia and Thunder Bay, Ontario. We have over 66,000 alumni in Canada and around the world. Lakehead has nine faculties, including Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Graduate Studies, Health & Behavioural Sciences, Law, Natural Resources Management, Science & Environmental Studies, and Social Sciences & Humanities.

Lakehead University’s achievements have been recognized nationally and internationally, including being ranked in the top half of Times Higher Education's (THE) 2023 World Universities Rankings for the fourth consecutive year, and the number one university in the world with fewer than 9,000 students in THE’s 2023 Impact Rankings (which assesses institutions against the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals). We are the university of choice for First Nation, Métis, and Inuit learners who account for approximately 11% of the total student population at Lakehead’s Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses – and this vibrant population is growing.

Lakehead Thunder Bay is located on the traditional lands of the Fort William First Nation, signatory to the Robinson Superior Treaty of 1850. Nestled on the shores of Lake Superior, in the heart of Thunder Bay, Lakehead Thunder Bay features a welcoming lake and river running past many of its buildings and residences. Fieldwork and hands-on learning are integral to a high number of our programs, taking advantage of the vibrant, natural laboratories right in our backyard. Our northern landscape also presents ample opportunity for world-class outdoor sports and activities. Students here can opt to take a ski break or hiking trip between study sessions and maintain an ideal work-play balance with ease. Over 7,500 students call the Thunder Bay Campus home. Facilities belonging to a wide array of professional options are located on the Thunder Bay Campus including nursing, kinesiology, forestry, business, engineering, education, social work, law, and medicine.

Dynamic, modern, and highly learner-centred, we acknowledge all our students as valued leaders of tomorrow, whose education and success are paramount to our institution. Both campuses in Thunder Bay and Orillia promise the total university experience: a blend of academic excellence and opportunity with a rich variety of social and recreational activities. We also promise excellence in research; Lakehead is the proud host of eleven Canada Research Chairs and revolutionary facilities such as our world-renowned Paleo-DNA Laboratory and Biorefining Research Institute.
Lisätietoja:
finnish.studies at lakeheadu.ca

Ilmoitus vanhenee: 1.3.2024 klo 23:59

Tämä ilmoitus on luettavissa Agricola-verkossa osoitteessa https://agricolaverkko.fi/announcement/chair-in-finnish-studies-at-lakehead-university/