KINFO: Pro Gradu project

TYK ry tiedotus tiedotus at tykry.fi
Ma Huhti 1 10:25:18 EEST 2019

PRO GRADU PROJECT ON PATIENT DERIVED OVARIAN CANCER CELL DRUG TESTING

Pro gradu student position is available in the Translational Cancer Research group at the
Research Center for Cancer in the Institute of Biomedicine. Our laboratory studies high
grade serous ovarian cancer (HGS-OvCa), with the aim of improving diagnostics and
treatment.

HGS-OvCa is the most common and aggressive subtype of ovarian cancer. The standard
therapy for HGS-OvCa patients is platinum-taxane chemotherapy together with surgery.
Most tumors respond to chemotherapy but, treatment resistance occurs eventually.
Reasons for relapse are currently largely unknown and treatment options are very
limited. Better means to study chemoresistance are needed. To study new more efficient
drug combinations, we have gathered an exceptional collection of patient derived HGSOvCa primary cancer cell lines and other clinical samples.

In this project we aim to study DNA damage and repair (disturbed homologous
recombination, HR) on drug sensitivity and resistance in HGS-OvCa cancer cells. We aim
to identify with functional ex vivo assay HR-deficient and HR-proficient primary HGSOvCa cells. Furthermore, we want to study novel drug molecules that affect the genomic
repair systems and cell cycle and thereby cancer cell survival.

This Pro Gradu -project will involve several cell and molecular biology techniques,
including e.g. primary cell culture, in vitro drug testing, microscopy techniques, imaging
with fluorescence microscopy, western blot and PCR to study drug combinations and HR
system. The aim of the project is to find possible drug combinations to target HGS-OvCa
cells.

We are looking for highly motivated candidates with a suitable background in the field of
biomedicine, cell biology, molecular biology or biochemistry. The student will have an
opportunity to work in a productive, interactive and international environment in the
new Medisiina D laboratory facilities. Previous hands-on experience in basic cell or
molecular biology techniques is an advantage.

The applications can be written in Finnish, English or Swedish. For further information,
please contact PhD Katja Kaipio or M.Sc. Pia Roering, email: kaanka at utu.fi or
piaroe at utu.fi?
Viestin välitti
Fanni Suomi