KINFO: Rule based modeling in systems biology -kurssi alkaa 5.2.

Jorma Kim jookim at utu.fi
To Tammi 8 13:08:32 EET 2009

Hi everybody

Ion Petre and I are giving a course on computer based models in  systems biology this spring. The course is entitled

Rule based modeling in systems biology, Thursdays 13 - 16, ICT House,  room B3039 (27 hours of lecturing)

The course starts on February 5. The course web page is at

http://web.abo.fi/~backrj/RuleBaseModels/index.htm

The course is intended for students in Computer Science, Mathematics and Biology. It will focus on a very recent modeling technique (Danos  & al, 2004 --) called rule based modeling. This approach has great promises, and it seems to be much more powerful and expressive than  the standard modeling method using differential equations. The course  will make  use of a computer supported environment for building rule  based models in biology.

We think that this course is quite accessible for students in Biology. We try to keep the mathematics to a minumum, and very little computer science background is needed. We will focus on hands on experience in building computer based models for different cellular mechanisms and analysing their properties. We would appreciate it, if you could distribute information about this course to your students (both M.Sc. students and Ph.D. students).

You can get a quick overview of the kappa approach by visiting the new site that the developers of the method are building, at

http://www.cellucidate.com/

Ralph Back

Ralph-Johan Back
Professor of Computer Science, Abo Akademi University
mail: Abo Akademi, Dept. of Information Techologies,
     Joukohaisenkatu 3-5, 20520 Turku, Finland
e-mail: backrj at abo.fi
phone: +358-40-5842358
web: www.abo.fi/~backrj

***