[it] Boost Open Data Hackathon this weekend!

Johannes Holvitie jjholv at utu.fi
Wed Sep 17 10:22:03 EEST 2014

As a reminder: Boost Open Data Hackathon is held this weekend.

Don't miss the chance to explore opportunities in open and geographic
data, get to know the bodies working on this sector, and win substantial
prices!

More info below.

Regards, Johannes

This weekend Lounaispaikka and Boost Turku presents you with:

*Open Data Hackathon 2014-- Baltic Sea*

-- weekend full of ideas, new technology and data and interesting people!

Boost Open Data Hackathon 2014 invites coders, geographers and open
knowledge enthusiasts for a weekend full of open data, innovations,
coding, visualization and brainstorming. Boost Open Data Hackathon has
three focuses: open data, open source technologies and geographical
information. The main idea of the hackathon is to create new services,
apps, visualizations etc. based on open data. Theme of Boost Open Data
Hackathon 2014 is Baltic Sea and we wish that all the ideas and
solutions could be related to our beloved sea.

Have you ever been wondering what kind of data have been gathered around
your home region and how could you benefit from it? Now there is a way
to find out because Lounaispaikka network consisting of different local
organizations are opening large amount of their data for public use.
What would be a better way to learn what's out there than participating
on Boost Open Data Hackathon! *The best idea / solution invented during
the weekend will be rewarded on Sunday.*

We recommend that this year all the participants join also
*Apps4Lounais-Suomi competition*. There you can win *prices up to
5000EUR* and more!

*Hackathon?*

The idea is to develop a prototype of a software in teams for 48 hours
that uses open data that focuses around Lounais-Suomi region and/or
Baltic Sea. At the end jury selects winner and the runner ups and they
will be rewarded with excellent prizes that will be declared later.
Teams can be sized from 1 to 3 people. There will also be some great
coaches helping you out with the problems you bump into.

I want to participate but I don't know anything about hacking. What can
I do?
Boost Open Data Hackathon also includes a competition for best ideas
around applying open data. So if you are a geographer, historian,
biologist or with whatever kind of background or otherwise have specific
interests around GIS and open data, feel free to join us. The best ideas
will also be generously rewarded!

*How can I join?*

Register to the event at Eventbrite and show up with your laptop!
Hackathons are a great way to effectively acquire knowledge of new
technologies! Something that is very valuable in the job market.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boost-open-data-hackathon-tickets-12648934303

More intel from facebook: https://www.facebook.com/apps4ls

Schedule:

*Friday*
17:00 Open sign-in (all participants/teams must sign in)
18:00 Opening statements and practicalities. Presenting the organisers.
(Boost Turku, Lounaispaikka)
18:15 Hackathon introduction
-Competition guidelines
-Introduction to the open data available
-Quick Tips for developing software for open data (e.g. map and
geospatial solutions) & Quick tips for applying open data
19:00 Lets go out for snacks and drinks and start having ideas!

*Saturday*
10:00 Doors open and the hacking continues
11:30 Lunch (Lounaispaikka offers)
15:00 Possible mid-hackathon presentations
18:00 Pizza & drinks (Lounaispaikka offers)

*Sunday*
10:00 Doors open and the hacking continues
11.30 Lunch (Lounaispaikka offers)
14:00 Demo time
16:00 Prizes are awarded by the Grand Jury of Destiny

More information also from Sanna Jokela (sanna.jokela at lounaispaikka.fi
<mailto:sanna.jokela at lounaispaikka.fi>)

T:Sanna