[H-verkko] Esitelmät ja keskustelutilaisuudet: Georgia: History of the Current Protest for Democracy / Online discussion

Agricola - Suomen humanistiverkko no-reply at agricolaverkko.fi
Ma Maalis 13 11:52:13 EET 2023

Agricolan tapahtumakalenteriin on lähetetty uusi tapahtuma:
Georgia: History of the Current Protest for Democracy / Online discussion

13.3.2023 klo 13:00 -  klo 13:50
Verkkotilaisuus / Teams: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_MjU4MzMyNzYtM2FmYi00YTE3LThmYzItOTBlMDY3MTBmYjcy%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%2275a994c7-2c89-4ab5-aa66-98cf56fe715e%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%228f94aa3e-43cb-41eb-a279-b22bedcc2f91%22%7d
Historians Without Borders invites You to an online discussion on Monday 13th of March 2023 where we discuss the historical background of the ongoing protest movement in Georgia with two prominent Georgian historians.

PRESENTATIONS:

Oliver Reisner, Jean Monnet Professor in European and Caucasian Studies, Ilia State University, Tbilisi. Previously project manager at the EU Delegation to Georgia working on questions of democratization, minorities, education, youth, labor and social affairs.

David Jishkariani, Researcher of Modern Georgian History, Ilia State University. Civil rights advocate. Activist of 2023 protests.

DISCUSSANT:

Rinna Kullaa, Associate Professor of Global History Tampere University; Vice President Historians without Borders. Expert for Mediterranean and Black Sea areas modern international relations.

PROGRAM:

This daytime discussion invites two historians, Reisner and Jishkariani, who teach history related to nation-building and identity in the Caucasus during the 19th and 20th centuries as well as memory studies of dealing with the Soviet past in Georgia and the Caucasus to share their views on current history of protest in Georgia. We will ask them questions about history of transition to democracy in Georgia from Soviet past and the impact of Russia´s war of aggression against Ukraine in Georgia. Our discussion will bring forth examples of the use and misuse of history in today´s Georgia. Two presentations of 10 minutes will be followed by 30 minutes of questions and discussion.

The discussion is held on Monday 13th of March 2023; 13:00-13:50 h Helsinki time (EET) via Microsoft Teams. For instructions on how to join a Teams meeting, please see Microsoft support pages: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/join-a-teams-meeting-078e9868-f1aa-4414-8bb9-ee88e9236ee4.

The Teams link can be found on our pages: https://historianswithoutborders.fi/georgia-history-of-the-current-protest/

Note: at this moment it is not clear whether the event will be recorded or not. We will inform about the possible recording on our pages.

The discussion is open to everyone. You are warmly welcome!

ABOUT THE ORGANIZER:

Historians without Borders is an international network whose goal is to bring together historians across national frontiers and to bridge the gap between academia, policy makers and the general public in order to bring the knowledge of historians to wider use. The purpose of the network is to promote public discussion about history and the use of historical knowledge for peacebuilding and conflict resolution. You are welcome to join our network of nearly 300 members by signing the Historians without Borders declaration on our pages: https://historianswithoutborders.fi/en/declaration/

Lisätietoja:
Heta Hedman
heta.hedman at hwb.fi
+358406608979