[H-verkko] Muut ilmoitukset: Kesä Symposium Liettuassa – Nordic Summer University

Agricola - Suomen humanistiverkko no-reply at agricolaverkko.fi
Ma Huhti 3 20:49:28 EEST 2023

Agricolan ilmoituksiin on lähetetty uusi muut ilmoitukset:
Kesä Symposium Liettuassa – Nordic Summer University
Our CfP in Brief
This Nordic Summer University study circle Praxis of Social Imaginaries: Cosmologies, Othering and Liminality, sets out to foster a platform for trans- and inter-disciplinary research rooted in the practices of reading, listening, and telling stories. Recognizing that trans- and inter-disciplinary research requires time and in-depth work in order to become truly fruitful, this study circle aims to provide room for these kinds of processes. The reading material at the center of our work is filled with depictions of cultures, peoples, lands and religious, artistic, culinary and sacred practices from times and places different from our own, while the people present in our circle come from different cultures and divergent relationships to research, artistic practice, and institutional structures.
In each symposium of our study circle, we think between the medieval past and present struggles, addressing cosmological differences in history and exploring futurity. The reading material central to our study circle is a series of medieval travel accounts, but our ethical and trans/inter-disciplinary approaches as informed by Indigenous research ethics guidelines. During this Summer Symposium, we will explore two different accounts of the Mongol Empire: William of Rubruck’s Itinerarium fratris Willielmi de Rubruquis de ordine fratrum Minorum from 1253 and The Description of the World from 1300. The texts of this session will be of particular interest to students of economy, democracy, engineering and gender studies as well as our core group of religious, historical and artistic scholars.
We welcome applications from researchers, scientists, and artists, as well as students at bachelor, master, or doctoral levels. As a community investigating historical and living cosmologies, we are welcoming to Indigenous as well as artistic researchers (and others) who engage with spiritual practices. Our study circle is open to people of all faiths.

Who can participate?
The Nordic Summer University (NSU) is open to all who want to engage in transdisciplinary and mutual learning under the values of equality and openness. You can be a student at bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, and you can be a researcher, a scientist, an artist or work in a cultural or other third sector organization. Our study circle is explicitly open to people of all faiths. As a community investigating historical and living cosmologies, we are welcoming to Indigenous and artistic research with spiritual dimensions.
The NSU Summer sessions are events where you can bring your whole family. There is a special children's circle with activities and leaders who know all the Nordic languages and English that take care of your smaller family members while the study circle program is happening.

What do we offer?
First and foremost, we offer a platform for learning and collaboration.
For students, we can also offer study credits for active participation. For scholars, we plan for joint publications in open-access peer reviewed journals. And for artists and academics who want to collaborate, we will organise events where your works can be disseminated to the public. We have partnered up with forums like aboagora for presenting arts and science collaborations.
We further offer the chance to learn Digital Humanities methods of working with and annotating historical texts, as well as the opportunity to connect with the vibrant Nordic Summer University; a one-of-a-kind, radically non-hierarchical, democratic, and community oriented institution of education and research. Finally, we endeavour to make the study circle accessible to all, including financially. We are able to provide some financial aid and continue to pursue further avenues through which to offer as much financial aid as needed to those who reach out to us to request it.

Where?
The summer session will take place 27th of July - 3rd of August 2023, in a resort close to the town Palanga in Lithuania. Palanga can be reached easily from Vilnius, Riga, or by ferry from Kiel (Germany). One can also arrive by busses from Tallinn or other major cities.

How can you participate?
Send us a short bio with your name, information about yourself, your home institution/organisation, your artform or area of research and a short motivation as to why you want to participate.
Please also let us know if you will have institutional support for participation, accommodation and traveling costs or if you would want to be granted a scholarship. The earlier you send in your request, the better the chances we will be able to work with you to secure scholarships! People in the Nordic/Baltic region are given priority in scholarships as we partner with Nordplus for this event.

Our final call for applications is May 15th 2023. Please reach out and express your interest earlier if at all possible.
Lisätietoja:
Laura Hellsten
praxis.social.imaginaries at gmail.com
https://scalar.usc.edu/works/praxis-of-social-imaginaries/summer-session-2023?path=upcoming-symposia-2