[Gross] thank you gross!

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 26 20:37:50 EET 2007

Eino Tuominen wrote:
> Jesse Thompson wrote:
>> gross saved us from processing 100 million messages in one day!
>
> Wow! How did the system behave? Did you notice the attack while it was
> underway?

We didn't notice anything at the time.  My colleague actually mentioned
that legitimate mail volumes looked low (assuming pre-holiday usage)
because he saw the percentage in the 'trust' category drop, without
noticing the overall gross load spike.

It's hard to tell from the orca graphs if there was any impact on the
servers, since we have gross running on sparse zones on 2 of our mail
servers, and we don't have orca monitoring individual zones.  The orca
graphs for the those global zones show nothing out of the ordinary.  The
only thing noticeable was a spike in TCP Resets on all of the MTAs
(including the ones that aren't running gross)

I only imagine what would have happened if we actually had to process
all of those messages!

Jesse