[H-verkko] Artikkelipyyntö: Urbanization and Nordic cities: governance, mobility, and transport in 1860-2020: how the modern Nordic city can be understood in a comparative European perspective

Agricola - Suomen humanistiverkko no-reply at agricolaverkko.fi
Pe Syys 1 13:58:01 EEST 2023

Agricolan ilmoituksiin on lähetetty uusi artikkelipyyntö:
Urbanization and Nordic cities: governance, mobility, and transport in 1860-2020: how the modern Nordic city can be understood in a comparative European perspective
Dear Nordic and Finnish urban and planning historians,

It is great honor to welcome you to attend the 2nd International Conference on Nordic Town History!

The International Conference on Nordic Town History is intended to provide a professional platform for scholars and historians from different Nordic countries, who are doing research and exploring various aspects of urban and planning history, taking place in Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Iceland and/or comparatively in the northern Europe and Scandinavia. Conference will invite experts from Nordic universities and city museums and other urban research institutions to share their research ideas.

In this conference we will explore the history of modern city in the Nordic context from the gradual introduction of the modern municipal governance – as the local administration started to grow and political decision-making to develop – until the early 21st century, when towns, cities and municipalities are the core bodies of modern welfare services. We privilege three wide themes, helping to focus on the differences and similarities between the Nordic cities. These themes are:

 	Migration and social mobility in cities
 	Transport system and urban modernization (railroads, ports, and airports as agents of social, economic, and cultural shifts)
 	Means of urban self-governance and state politics.

The conference is free-of-charge, and we expect to be able to provide accommodation and meals for accepted speakers. In addition, it may be possible to contribute to travel costs for accepted speakers, though we hope most participants will be able to obtain travel support from their home institutions.

If you are interested in attending this conference, please submit your speech title and abstract to pirjo.ovaskainen at helsinki.fi by the end of October. All prensentations in english.

Time: 10–13 April 2024

Place: Vantaa City Hall, Finland

Organizers: Vantaa City Museum, URBARIA: Helsinki Institute of Urban and Regional Studies and Institute of History, University of Helsinki.

If you have something to ask send mail to pirjo.ovaskainen at helsinki.fi.

Lisätietoja:
Pirjo Ovaskainen
pirjo.ovaskainen at helsinki.fi

Ilmoitus vanhenee: 31.10.2023 klo 23:59

Tämä ilmoitus on luettavissa Agricola-verkossa osoitteessa https://agricolaverkko.fi/announcement/urbanization-and-nordic-cities-governance-mobility-and-transport-in-1860-2020-how-the-modern-nordic-city-can-be-understood-in-a-comparative-european-perspective/